Saturday, March 23, 2013

This Möbius Strip of Ifs by Mathias B. Freese REVIEW

This Möbius Strip of Ifs


In this impressive and varied collection of creative essays, Mathias B. Freese jousts with American culture. A mixture of the author's reminiscences, insights, observations, and criticism, the book examines the use and misuse of psychotherapy, childhood trauma, complicated family relationships, his frustration as a teacher, and the enduring value of tenaciously writing through it all. Freese scathingly describes the conditioning society imposes upon artists and awakened souls. Whether writing about the spiritual teacher, Krishnamurti, poet and novelist, Nikos Kazantzakis, or film giants such as Orson Welles and Buster Keaton, the author skewers where he can and applauds those who refuse to compromise and conform. A psychotherapist for twenty-five years, Freese conveys a unique combination of psychodynamic thinking and Eastern philosophy while examining Existentialism, alternative education, and Jewish values. His award-winning novel, The i Tetralogy, is a groundbreaking contribution to Holocaust literature and a critically acclaimed work of "undying artistic integrity." His short story collection, Down to a Sunless Sea, was published in 2008. At the core of these essays is the author's struggle to authentically express his unique perspective, to unflinchingly reveal a profound visceral truth, along with a passionate desire to be completely alive and aware.

**From Dictionary.com:**

Möbius strip

noun Geometry .
a continuous, one-sided surface formed by twisting one end of a rectangular strip through 180° about the longitudinal axis of the strip and attaching this end to the other.

 *                                *                              *
This is the first book of essays that I have read, and I was pleasantly surprised by it. I admit, I was thinking based on the idea of growing up in school, not wanting to write essays even though I have always enjoyed writing, but on a topic I enjoy; not forced - that I may find this book dry or boring. So naturally I was apprehensive if I'd enjoy this collection. I was delightfully surprised when I read this.  Mathias was able to capture my attention from beginning to end.
Mathias Freese is a former psychotherapist and teacher, in this book he shares some of his experiences but this is by no means a boring, dull or dry book. This book is full of emotion, stories, dreams, ideas, outlooks, and memories. 
This book makes you think. And I like that. I feel I read enough books that are meant for joys as it is, whether it be comedy, thriller, romance, etc. So it is a nice change of pace to read something like this. To get something from it as well as make you think and enjoy it on top of it all. In telling us about his own life, he encourages us to look at our life.



I recommend this book to all





                                                                               

                                                                         I received this book from the author for review

No comments: