Saturday, January 25, 2020

Kai Storm - Her books and an author interview!


1Guest Post:

    A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Getting Published

So Alani’s Bigger Hustle (my first baby/book) was set to be published in 2009 via a small publisher who I signed with. I was so excited to get a contract that I didn’t read it (mistake #1) nor did I research the publisher or talk to anyone they published previously (mistake #2). I didn’t know anything about the publishing process (mistake #3) I trusted everything the small publisher told me (mistake #4) and I was just happy with the thought of getting my book published. The only piece of good advice they gave me was to join Facebook and develop a following. With that following, I also connected with real authors who knew the business and were willing to give me pointers. I then read my contract and realized it killed itself after 2 years. Because the time on the contract expired I was able to sign with a credible company and my first book was published six months later.

Author Interview:

First I want to say thank you for taking the time to chat with me!

Thank you for having me, always appreciate an interview!
Where do you get your ideas?
Past experiences, my wild ass imagination and the overwhelming fact that people generally are comfortable telling me things so that I can turn it into a story. I don’t know why but I enjoy every bit of it.
What is your writing process like?
I have to see it in my head like a movie first…that way, I’m just writing what I see.
What advice do you have for writers?
Always push forward; if writing is your art and you’re not in it for the money/fame, always push forward because someone is watching and admiring your hustle!
What is the first book that made you cry?
I’m not that type no matter what it is….well…it has to be real or hit me in a soft spot where I couldn’t help it, but that doesn’t happen often.
Do you find it easier to write character and dialogue for the opposite sex because you are the opposite sex? (A woman writing a man’s part and dialogue for example). Either way, it doesn’t matter to me. I feel my natural grit comes off man-ish on a regular basis so I never have a problem writing from that perspective.
What is your writing Kryptonite?
Hearing people praise my work but not paying for it or not writing reviews. The worst is someone telling you what to write lol like no, I’m the artist therefore I drive!

 Have you ever gotten reader’s block?
ALL THE TIME…but it goes away with inspiration.
How did publishing your first book change your process of writing, if at all?
My first book was published via Twenty First Street Urban Editing & Publishing LLC in 2011 and my first book, Alani’s Bigger Hustle was a long time story in the making aka a movie that replayed itself multiple times in my head until I finally decided to write it. Publishing that book made it all real for me so I’m thankful for its birth.
What kind of research do you do, and how long do you spend researching before beginning a book? I love a bit of realness to my reads to I will use real places and because Google is the best snitch ever, I always have accurate information.


Thank you so much for taking the time to not only guest post for me but for chatting with me as well!

Kai Storm



Author of
www.nattiekai.com
www.nattiekai.wixsite.com/kaih
www.21streeturbanediting.com
Find me on Facebook/Kai.Storm2
Twitter/Alanistory
Instagram/Kaihustler
YouTube/Jennchocostar
Kaistormbooks.tumblr.com

No comments: