Thursday, March 9, 2017

The Mask of Zeus by Desmond Cory **Review**

The Mask of Zeus

Winner of the Sunday Times' Best Crime novel of the year, Desmond Cory introduces us again to the offbeat world of Professor John Dobie. Sent into exile by those of his friends and colleagues still reeling from his exploits in The Strange Attractor, Dobie arrives on the Isle of Aphrodite (better known as Cyprus) prepared to induct his new students into the Mysteries of Higher Mathematics. But the local gods have a shock or two in store for him, starting with the fact that his predecessor at the school, a former student of Dobie’s, has been murdered. 

Review:
This is my second read by this author. I thoroughly enjoyed the first read, so I was looking forward to reading this one as well. This also seems to be a continuation of The Strange Attractor.  
Again I am reminded that Professor Dobi is not a run-of-the-mill character. He is different, unique, inquisitive, entertaining, and smart! However, in this book, there is a whole new set of twists and turns that were not expected. Yet, another murder has happened, and again it is someone he knows. 
This author yet again shows that he knows how to write a good murder mystery with creativity that keeps the reader pulled in until the end. The writing was different than I expected, but so was the twists! I am glad I was introduced to this author. Now that I am aware that this is a trilogy, I want to read the entire set! I am really surprised I hadn't heard of this author before, but I am glad I am aware of his books now.

No comments: