Saturday, November 12, 2011

A Place to Belong by Lisa Troyer REVIEW


Looking for “a place to belong”? Find it in a community of women fostering relationships through authenticity, affirmation and accountability—find it in the Circle of Friends. Your outlook will never be the same as you explore the ministry potential of a dynamic group of “women helping women,” and catch their vision to be women committed to Jesus Christ, obediently seeking God’s will, and fulfilling their life mission as Christ-followers.

I really enjoyed the forward by Carol Kent…I think they should make that into a book…
I did enjoy the rest of A Place to Belong, I loved that she brought many biblical stories to the surface for us to remember that Jesus knows all and is aware of all even when we think He isn’t aware. That He did not care if you were the village whore and nobody would talk to you or look at you (even though they most likely did when she wasn’t looking or in earshot or there). I like that Lisa reminds us that we need a group, a circle of friends, a cadre to be able to talk to, have real talks, be able to have someone to call and vent to, not hide anything, to be accountable to, to help you stay on the correct path, to be in good company with people who truly love you and care about and for you, only want the best for you. That won’t sugar coat or be too harsh and kick you when you’re down, but give you tough love when you need it. For you to lean on.
She also reminds us to be real with God. People try to lie and hide things from God which is funny in its self because that is impossible. There are so many great things in the book to take from, use in your life, your marriage, your parenting, friendship. Though for me, the biggest thing in this book and the biggest thing I took from this was what she and her friends started; called the Circle of Friends. They are there to keep you in the right path, to call on anytime for anything. They keep you accountable and vice versa. You talk about anything and everything, the joys and struggles in your life; etc. etc. My own church has that, but we use what I believe is the French term, Cadre. You get together with the main person once a week, one of the leaders of the church that is in that cadre to talk one on one about whatever you want to discuss. You go out to eat or for a cup of coffee or go book shopping or whatever it may be.
There is a bit more in the book than what I am discussing here but this is the main of what I got from it. I do have to admit though, that I was hoping to get engrossed in this book. I was really looking forward to this book coming. But I found it hard to keep my attention on the book. I found my mind wandering to other books and things. I’m hoping that it was just my mood this time and the stresses of life at this moment. I am going to re-read this book in about six months to a year and maybe do another review on it or touch up this review. Please don’t take my criticism wrong, I do recommend this book for anyone and everyone. And even though this is a Christian book on women’s life issues, I do believe a man could read this and get something from it.  If you want inspiration to not throw in the towel or give up, this is the book for you.


                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

                                                         I received this book for review from The B&B Media Group

No comments: