Friday, April 15, 2011

Stilettos & Scoundrels by Laina Turner-Molaski REVIEW

Presley Thurman, a sassy, thirty-something redhead, lover of shopping and Starbucks had just been fired so she decided to follow her dream. With her feisty nature and a spirit to not "sweat the small stuff," she was ready to tackle any challenge (even if she had no idea how she would pay the bills).  However, the new job turned into murder-in her hometown! Presley was excited - she hadn't seen so much buzz since the spring sample sale at Saks.
Presley was able to discover the Senators wife, Helen, had been having an affair...with her best friend's boyfriend! Did Helen kill the Senator? Or was it the Senators love of gambling that got him killed? And what was Cooper's secret tie to the mob boss Garrison Palozzo? But could she find the killer and write her story while resisting the good looks and charm of old flame Cooper.
Presley was betting her favorite pair of Manolo's she will find the killer...but will time run out?

*                     *                   *



I was pleasantly surprised with this book. I'm not usually a fan of books with romance being a main key in the storyline. Yet I fully enjoyed this read. I loved the mystery and shoes;) And even though I had a hunch what may take place or not take place, I had to keep reading to find out for sure. Laina really does have a gift for writing this style of book.
I enjoyed the main character, Presley. She is independent and goes after what she wants. She deals with what I think all women who get to a certain age that are single deal with. And that is that their mother won't stop trying to connect them to men they think are right for them because they want to see their daughter(s) happy and they want grand-kids.  Heck, I know some mothers who ask if the man is single (and after getting a yes) shove him at their daughters lol.
I loved how real and well developed the characters were. I could see myself at the cafe with Presley having a large black coffee with cream and two sugars talking about all the men in the town or sitting at her and her best friend growing up Katy's table at La Casa sipping on a margarita looking at the all the men and getting filled in on all the gossip while wishing I had half of Presley's wardrobe or Katy's figure lol! I could get along with Presley and a few of her friends but Presley's ex Brian seemed a bit immature and desperate; especially after they had gone out for coffee. They hadn't seen each other in a few years and he got upset and left her stranded at the coffee shop because she wasn't for getting back together. I also think that it was a hidden blessing that Presley got the online magazine job that sent her back to her hometown for a few days because Presley did a lot of growing up and finding out who she was and growing more confident in herself and in her own skin and not just portraying it on the outside or convincing herself that she was happy.



You gotta read this book. Bottom line. Laina has a great writing style and seems to have a knack for making her characters real and imaginative. I would recommend this book and I can't wait for her next book! I have added Laina as a 'fav author'. This was a fun read with twists and turns and I couldn't wait for her next book:) I like this Presley Thurman;)


                                   
                    
                                                            I received this book for review from Pump Up Your Book

No comments: