Friday, January 21, 2011

Anything Goes on Saturday


This is a new meme hosted by Socrates's Book Review Blog called "Anything Goes on Saturday". It's a chance to choose any topic you want and talk about it on Saturday - it can be about a book, TV show, movie, a recipe or just an update on your week. Whatever you choose.

If you'd like to join in, take the button above and blog about it. Use the linky below to post your direct link to your post. Then, go and visit other blogs and see what's on everyone's minds this week. Enjoy!


Socrates' posted about book reviewing and rating. I also would like to talk about how I feel about reviewing and my own reviewing.

I love reading and I love reviewing. But I sometimes have doubts about how good I am at it; reviewing that is. I read other peoples reviews and I enjoy them. They have depth and insight. I walk away from the review knowing how that person felt about it and it helps me decide if I want to read it or not. There have been plenty of times that if I hadn't read a review from a blogger ( or non blogger) that I trust/respect, I wouldn't have read the book. 

Some are short and to the point and others are longer but good all the same. I feel my reviews are too general and plain and I really want to work on that this year. I want people to read my review, enjoy them and get insight and depth, to take something from it. To know my feelings on the book. Even though I have been reviewing books in discussion for years and have been an official reviewer for just about a year now, I still feel very amateur in my writing/reviewing.  As if someone were to read my review and say/thing, " Oh, she's a newbie." 

What are your thoughts on this particular subject?  Do you ever feel self-conscious about your reviewing skills?

No comments: