Friday, April 21, 2017

Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris **Review**

Behind Closed Doors
Everyone knows a couple like Jack and Grace: he has looks and wealth, she has charm and elegance. You'd like to get to know Grace better. But it's difficult, because you realize Jack and Grace are never apart. Some might call this true love.

Picture this: a dinner party at their perfect home, the conversation and wine flowing. They appear to be in their element while entertaining. And Grace's friends are eager to reciprocate with lunch the following week. Grace wants to go, but knows she never will. Her friends call—so why doesn't Grace ever answer the phone? And how can she cook such elaborate meals but remain so slim?

And why are there bars on one of the bedroom windows?

The perfect marriage? Or the perfect lie?


REVIEW:
So I got this from the library a few days ago. I loved the cover. I loved the title. I loved the blurb, it pulled me in. I picked it up Wednesday night to read a little before going to bed...big mistake. Big. Huge. (channeling Julia Roberts from Pretty Woman). When it was 3:30 I realized - you need to put the book down! This is a psychological thriller that makes you think ( I love those!)I finished it yesterday. It isn't a huge book but dang is it a page turner! From literally the first page you are sucked into Jack and Grace's story. You know something is off, but what? As I continued to read, the past was slowly explained to give you the answer as to why she was in the predicament she was currently in. Then it would flip to present day to how she was trying to plan how the hell to get out of this situation for herself and her sister.
 Yes, I think portions of the story-line are predictable and done before but, Pairs puts her own flavor on the story-line.  To me, there were major red flags for Grace to pay attention to. Why she didn't, I don't know...But  I was so glad that Grace began to outsmart Jack to be able to find a way out. And, the fact that Jack made the vital mistake of saying Millie's room was red, her "her favorite color"....I'm really trying not to give any spoilers here...I will say, I loved how Grace's conversation went with Esther at the end of the book. Lastly, I was a bit proud of myself for figuring out a few things in the book before Grace did or before Millie told Grace.
On a serious note,  I am glad that stories like this one are written because there are non-fiction/real life people in these situations and situations like this that are trying to cry out for help but are unable to because of whatever reason. Stories like this help us think outside of the box and possibly help us be more aware of out surroundings.  
Now, I look forward to reading The Breakdown! 

No comments: