Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Mother Road by Jennifer Allee REVIEW

A New Road Home--or Another Dead End?

Within the course of a week, marriage expert Natalie is dumped by her husband, receives an urgent call home from her father, and discovers her estranged sister, Lindsay, is pregnant.

A road trip on Route 66 may not help, but it sure couldn't hurt. Or so Natalie thinks, until Lindsay's boyfriend starts stalking them. Will their trip down the Mother Road bring the two sisters closer together, or turn out to be the biggest wrong turn of their lives

*        *        *

It's funny, when I started reading this book, I was curious as to why this book was called The Mother Road, even thought I have driven the famous and historic route 66. This cover is so fitting for the book. And I love how, even though in the synopsis Jennifer tells you that Lindsey is pregnant but you don't see that on the cover. This journey across the mother road is just what both sisters needed. They hadn't spoken in years.
Natalie just got hit with a triple whammie: She made her husbands favorite food to celebrate her new contract (she is an author) when he told her he wanted a divorce. He had been having an affair with his assistant ( I know, a bit cliche ) and she is pregnant (Natalie-Nat for short, and her husband had been trying to get pregnant and couldn't conceive).
After speaking with her father, Natalie gets herself roped into picking her sister up and taking a road trip to see their parents. This mother has been suffering from Alzheimer's and their father says it it getting worse.  Lindsey, who is pregnant and in a seemingly bad relationship has no idea her sister is coming to pick her up.
Another twist to the story.
I enjoyed this book a lot. I liked that it started off with a kick, Tony (Nat's estranged husband) admits to the affair; only because she is pregnant. Which to me shows he didn't admit to his wrong doings out of conviction which to me makes him a shmuck.
I did like the sisters, although it seemed that Lindsey (the pregnant sister) was very used to getting her own way. She got on my nerves at times. I liked that Natalie was such a strong woman. If she were real, I would love to have a cup of coffee with her, become friends. The only thing I didn't care for in this book was that I felt like I knew what was going to happen before it happened; but I had to keep reading to see if I was right or not. The storyline was good. The plot was pretty easy. I don't think I would have killed Natalie's career so fast, but it was obvious that the author wanted Natalie to have a fresh start in everything, not just in men. I felt the book was left unfinished though, I was looking at around to see if there was a second book to finish the story or something, especially when it came to her buying the coffee shop or not and with Adam; her obvious next man.
But all in all I enjoyed the book and I am thinking about suggesting this at my next book club meeting for a read. I think it would make for great discussion.

**side note, I loved the fact that being a big Lucy fan myself, the author had that as the one thing that calmed the mother down and I love how the author put in actual places in the story, minus Beaumont, Illinois**




I received this book for review from Pump Up Your Book











Granny's Closet in Flagstaff (fun fact: I have been on route 66 and to Granny's Closet! Sadly, I don't have pictures handy but I have pictures of the restaurant and Little Louie) While at a gas station a bystander suggested this restaurant for the sisters to eat at.
Oatman Hotel is one of the hotel's the girls stayed at.
The Roadkill Cafe

 






Alzheimer's Association
Mayo Clinic
Everyday Health
Family Caregiver Alliance

1 comment:

thewriterslife said...

Thank you so much for your thorough review of Mother Road, Elisha! Makes me want to head over to Flagstaff, never been but would love to go! I'm estranged from my sister, I bet a road trip would be a really healing thing. Anyway, I love the part at the bottom where you included the pictures and your input on everything. Keep doing that!