Friday, December 2, 2016

I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced by Nujood Ali, Delphine Minoui, Linda Coverdale **Review**

I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced

“I’m a simple village girl who has always obeyed the orders of my father and brothers. Since forever, I have learned to say yes to everything. Today I have decided to say no.”

Nujood Ali's childhood came to an abrupt end in 2008 when her father arranged for her to be married to a man three times her age. With harrowing directness, Nujood tells of abuse at her husband's hands and of her daring escape. With the help of local advocates and the press, Nujood obtained her freedom—an extraordinary achievement in Yemen, where almost half of all girls are married under the legal age. Nujood's courageous defiance of both Yemeni customs and her own family has inspired other young girls in the Middle East to challenge their marriages. Hers is an unforgettable story of tragedy, triumph, and courage.


My review:
This was a pretty short read. I was able to read it easily in a day and a half while still maintaining life. That is not to say it was an easy read. Nujood takes you on her roller-coaster of emotions that tugs at your own emotions. For instance, she is plenty happy at her original home, although it isn't the best conditions. This makes you have insight and gratitude for things we may not take for granted, but are accustomed to; such as running water, heat, AC, a toilet. 
As her story unfolds, you see how a little girl in the region of Yemen are treated and thought of, or lack there of. I already knew of some of the happenings in this area of the world, but in my naivete, I didn't realize that girls were still married at such a young age...and what they endure...makes me glad that I am not brought up in that part of the world in that religion/culture. I mean no ill-feelings to that particular religion. 
This story was a real eye-opener to what goes on in that part of the world. I definitely recommend this read.  

No comments: